Whether she’s walking for Victoria’s Secret, starring in Superbowl ads or breaking newsstand sales records on the cover of men’s mags like GQ, Brazilian bombshell Adriana Lima is never not making us question why we weren’t genetically blessed. Recently named by Forbes as the second-highest paid model, and the face of Marc Jacobs fragrance, Divine Decadence, Lima sat down with us to talk about her TV gig at Rio 2016, her red lipstick collection, and why we should all be doing avocado masks. Here’s what we learned.
1. As one of NBC’s culture and food correspondents at the Rio 2016 Olympics, Lima shared some of her favourite spots like Confeitaria Colombo for Portuguese tarts and Belmond Copacabana Palace for caipirinhas by the pool. She also loves Salvador, her birthplace. “Besides Rio, it’s a beautiful place to go.”
2. “Brazilian women love to take care of ourselves. We like to use a lot of organic stuff. Most [beauty treatments] we make at home,” says Lima who does avocado hair masks (“it makes your hair super shiny”), and uses iced coconut water on cotton balls to deflate tired, puffy eyes.
3. Lima is only 35 years old, but her tenure as the longest running Victoria’s Secret Angel makes her a matriarch compared to newbies like Kendall and Gigi.
4. “My first scent memory is playing around as a child with my cousins in my mother’s garden,” says Lima. “She had gardenias. It’s one of the notes for Divine Decadence. It’s also in my house—I have gardenias all over.”
5. Her daughters—6-year-old Valentina and three-year-old Sienna—are into makeup, and that’s cool with Lima. “I let them play with it,” she says, clarifying that her cosmetic bag is off limits. “I think they’re too little for that. They have their own glitter and kid’s stuff like lip balm.”
6. Lima’s old neighbour taught her the art of applying makeup. “His name is Dino. He’s a drag queen, and he still performs in Brazil,” she says. The most important technique he helped her master: eyeliner. “It’s so difficult to apply.” Models, they’re just like us.
7. “I’m obsessed with red lipstick,” says Lima who pairs it with mascara, and has a library of shades at the ready. “It depends on what I’m wearing or if I’m tan or not. I usually go for cherry red.”